The perception of bowls being a sport for slow-moving retirees wearing white shoes is about to be bowled over (pun intended). In the Western Cape, this pastime is gaining momentum with a younger generation turning this formerly unfashionable sport into hip get togethers where fun-seekers sip on their wine while a barefoot teammate takes a turn on the green. Thanks to the Zandvleit Business Bowls sponsorship, Daring Bowls is participating. Source Zandvleit Business Bowls.
The good news is that the demographics of participants are changing. Bowls is the ultimate inclusive sport requiring no hard-earned skill or inbred talent, has no age or gender restriction and is, even when played competitively, a most enjoyable social event.
The Zandvliet Bowls Business League Tournament invites would-be bowlers to participate in the socially competitive championships played at club level (±80 participating clubs) where a slot in the finals held in Bonnievale in Septemer 2019 is the bull’s eye. Play-offs are organised by the six district clubs, namely Cape West Coast, Karoo, Cape Winelands, Cape Town, Klein Karoo & Eden and Cape Overberg. The Business League encourages businesses to enter teams of four and use this as a network-forming and teambuilding opportunity. Close to 4800 entrants are expected to participate in the approximately 120 tournaments. The four best teams per district will partake in the finals.
There are many prizes available during the tournament.
Preliminary rounds are being played at Darling Bowls Club to determine which Business league team progresses to the District knock-out stage to be played Velddrif Bowling Club.
Competition Terms and Conditions state –
A Player must not be or have been a member of Bowls South Africa.
- Competition Rule 8 states – The competition is open to residents of South Africa over the age of 18. BSA (Bowls South Africa) members and ex members are not permitted to take part.
- Competition Rule 11 states – A team consists of 4 players (a player, team manager or club secretary can complete the online entry form). The competition only allows one entry per team and team manager. Multiple entries from the same team or persons will be disqualified.
The Darling Bowls Club Business League results and upcoming events –
Saturday 9th March – Pool 1
- Evita se Perron – ‘Evita’s Darlings’
- Mortar SA team 1 – ‘MSA Mix’
- Mortar SA team 2 – ‘MSA Dream Team’ – WINNER
- Sorbini Group – ‘Bowling Stones’
Saturday 16th March – Pool 2
- Darling College – ‘The Educators’
- Darling Vleismark – ‘Vleisvreeters’ – Winner – withdrawn from knock-out due to time conflicts.
- RBI – ‘Solid as a Rock’ – Going through to knock-out due to withdrawal of Vleisvreeters
- SAB – ‘Zibi’s’
Saturday 23rd March – Pool 3
- Conchar Solutions – ‘The Conquerors’
- Kirsten Vervoer 1 – ‘Ghrease Monkeys’
- Kirsten Vervoer 2 – ‘Simply the best’
- Kirsten Vervoer 3 – ‘The Youngsters’- WINNER
- Sibanthatu1 – ‘Sibanthatu’
- Sibanthatu2 – ‘Bambanani’
Thursday 28th March at 17h15 – Knock-out of Pool winners for Velddrif play-off.
- Winners of Pool 1 – ‘MSA Dream Team’
- Winners of Pool 2 – ‘SAB – Zibi’s’
- Winners of Pool 3 – ‘Kirsten Vervoer – ‘The Youngsters’
Winner of the knock-out will represent Darling Bowls Club at the Velddrif play-off to determine the District winners to compete at the tournament finals at Bonnievale.
District Semi Finals at Velddrif.
The play-off for the District winner will be held at Velddrif where the Four best teams will be selected for the finals to be held at Bonnievale in September 2019.
The Darling Club has offered to pay for the transport of the team representing Darling Bows Club to the next round in Velddrif.
So come on down to the Darling Bowls Club to support your team. For spectators, the bar is open, bring your own meat and salads, there will be fires going.
For more details contact the Darling Bowls Club office bearers –
President Bobby Beckman 082 416 0046 email@example.com
Secretary James Duffus 083 233 4783 firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Secretary Dave Chalmers 083 282 1361 email@example.com
Data Admin Rika Mitchell firstname.lastname@example.org